For people living in Indianapolis Indiana and the surrounding areas, sustaining a personal injury in an accident can be overwhelming.
The road to recovery can take many turns as you deal with insurance companies, medical providers, repair shops and any others involved. The weeks and months following an accidental injury can be physically painful and challenging, mentally demanding, emotionally stressful and financially devastating.
Additionally, suffering a personal injury can result in lost wages from recuperation time, damaged property from the incident that resulted in the injury and strain your relationships as you deal with the accident’s effects.
During this emotional and painful recovery period, you need an Indianapolis personal injury attorney with many years of experience who you can trust to handle your injury claim so you can focus on your recovery and your family life.
The personal injury lawyers of Poynter & Bucheri Accident Recovery will assist you in dealing with the consequences of an accidental injury by taking forceful and targeted legal action. As we strive to settle your claim as quickly and efficiently as possible, we always keep Indiana courtroom decorum in mind as we diligently work to build a strong case for negligence and liability.
If a defendant refuses to negotiate a fair and just settlement, our PBAR team is prepared and ready to take the matter before a jury to protect your legal rights and your best interests. If you have sustained a personal injury, you have the right to seek compensation. The PBAR team of the qualified attorneys is the team you need to fight for you and your loved ones’ best interests.
Do Not Allow an Insurance Adjuster to Convince You That You Do Not Need an Attorney!
Call 1-800-265-9881 or (317) 780-8000 now to speak with a PBAR representative. We represent clients in Indianapolis and throughout the surrounding areas.
Our Indianapolis personal injury attorneys offer free consultations so that you can get answers to your questions and learn about your options for recovering compensation for your injury claim. The lawyers of Poynter & Bucheri, LLC want to help you fight for your right to be compensated when a negligent party causes you an injury.
What Types of Personal Injury Cases do PBAR Attorneys Handle?
Our Indianapolis personal injury attorneys handle a variety of personal injury claims including the following common personal injury causes:
- Car Accidents — Car accidents can cause severe injuries to drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and bicyclists. You have the right to recover compensation for your injuries by filing a personal injury claim.
- Truck Accidents — Semi-trucks, large truck and commercial truck accidents most often result in injuries and deaths to the occupants of other vehicles. PBAR fights trucking companies and insurance providers to protect your right to full compensation for all damages.
- Motorcycle Accidents — Motorcyclists are at high risk for brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and other traumatic injuries because of a lack of protection during a collision. It is important to hire an Indianapolis personal injury lawyer who fights for compensation of future damages in addition to current damages.
- Boating Accidents — Boating accidents tragically result in thousands of deaths and injuries each year in the United States. Holding the party responsible for causing the boating injury liable for damages can be a complex matter. Our Indianapolis personal injury lawyers have experience handling these types of claims.
- Wrongful Death — Losing a loved one is tragic. When another party’s negligence or recklessness caused the loss, the family might be entitled to recover compensation for damages. The time to file a wrongful death claim is limited. Therefore, family members should contact our office as quickly as possible.
- Soft Tissue Injuries — Soft tissue injuries can cause chronic pain and impaired mobility. Whiplash is one of the most common types of soft tissue injuries; however, whiplash is just one example. View our soft tissue injuries page for more information.
- Dog Bite Injuries — Dog bite injuries result in a variety of injuries including PTSD, scarring, disfigurement, broken bones, and nerve damage. A dog owner can be held liable for damages if the owner’s dog bites or attacks another person.
- Slip and Fall Injuries — Slip and fall injuries are litigated as premises liability claims. Property owners have a duty to visitors to provide safe premises. Visit our slip and fall page for steps you need to take to protect your right to recover compensation.
- ATV Accidents — ATV accidents are caused by a variety of reasons, including negligence, driver error, defective products, and recklessness. Our Indianapolis personal injury attorneys investigate ATV accidents to determine the cause of the accident and identify the parties liable for your damages.
- DUI Accidents — DUI accidents cause horrific injuries for the innocent victims of a drunk driver. However, our lawyers must still identify evidence that proves the drunk driver was negligent in causing the collision. Visit our DUI Accidents page for more information about how we prove liability in a drunk driving case.
- Liquor (Dram Shop) Liability — A person who furnishes alcohol to someone who then causes injury to another person may be held liable in certain circumstances. In addition to DUI accidents, a Dram Shop claim may involve injuries related to assault, boating accidents, bicycle crashes, and property damage claims.
You Can Talk to Someone Right Now About Your Case!
Visit our contact page to request a free case review by completing our contact form and get directions to our office.
You can also chat with a representative 24/7 online to get the help you need now!
Personal Injury Statistics – Indiana & Nationwide
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, unintentional injuries were the leading cause of death in the United States in 2017 for persons 15-44 and were the third leading cause of death for persons 45-64.
In addition, the U.S. Department of Justice reports that of the more than 7,000 personal injury cases heard in state courts in 2005, 52% were motor vehicle accident cases, 15% were medical malpractice suits and 5% dealt with product liability.
Accidents Involving Motor Vehicles
- Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death among healthy individuals in the United States, with almost 40,000 fatal car accidents occurring each year.
- Worldwide, almost 1.24 million people die annually in car accidents.
- The NHTSA estimates that in 2010, car accidents cost $871 billion each year.
- The CDC estimates fatal car crashes in Indiana cost about $1,070,000,000 each year.
- Each year, between 800 and 920 Indiana residents die in car accidents and thousands more are injured.
- In 2017, Indiana had 119 fatal crashes involving large trucks.
- In 2016, 100 motorcyclists in Indiana lost their lives and 2,322 were injured in motorcycle accidents.
- Motorcycle crashes resulting in death are 28 times more common than fatal accidents involving other vehicles, and about 5,000 people are killed on motorcycles each year.
Accidents Involving Boats, ATVs, etc.
- In 2018, there were 4,145 boating accidents in the United States, with over half resulting in injury and 633 resulting in death. The total cost of damages for these was $45,902,204.15.
- In 2018, Indiana saw eight fatal boating accidents, with 43 total accidents taking place. While the number of total accidents has decreased from 2017, the fatalities have increased.
- Overwhelmingly, alcohol use is a leading contributor to boating accidents.
- In 2017, 3,022 of the 4,291 reported boating accidents took place on inland bodies of water, with 133 occurring on one of the Great Lakes.
- Since 1982, there have been 285 deaths as the result of an ATV accident in Indiana, with 32 of those deaths occurring since January 2015.
Accidents Involving Slips and Falls and Workplace Injury
- It is estimated that over 17,000 people die each year from a slip and fall injury.
- Falling is the top nonfatal preventable injury and third preventable injury-related cause of death to occur in the United States in 2017.
- Fifteen percent of all job-related injuries are slip and fall injuries, accounting for up to 15% of all Workers’ Compensation costs.
- Over 60% of all elevated falls occur from a height of less than 10 feet.
- In 2016, same-level falls accounted for 24,700 injuries in the construction industry, 29,830 in retail work and 63,350 injuries in government positions, proving that slip and fall accidents can occur anywhere to anyone.
Accidents Involving DUI and Liquor Liability
- From 2003-2012, 2,210 deaths occurred in accidents with a drunk driver in the state of Indiana, with males aged 21-34 dying at the highest rate.
- The five Indiana counties with the highest percentage of drunk driving accidents are Pike, Union, Newton, Martin and Blackford.
- The Indiana counties with the most fatal DUI accidents are Ohio, Huntington, Blackford, Decatur and Hamilton.
- Marion County, despite hosting Indianapolis, only ranks 67th in terms of most dangerous counties for drunk driving in Indiana; however, 23.01% of all traffic fatalities in Marion County involve DUI.
- Indiana’s dram shop laws allow businesses that served alcohol to a minor or already intoxicated individual to be held legally liable if that individual causes harm to another person due to intoxication, such as in a DUI-related accident.
Accidents Resulting in Wrongful Death
- The most common causes of wrongful death are vehicular accidents, such as traffic collisions, commercial trucking incidents, motorcycle, bicyclist and pedestrian accidents; medical malpractice; workplace accidents such as slips and falls or accidents involving machinery; and defective products.
- Other causes of wrongful death include drowning or boating accidents, premises liability accidents, and accidental poisoning or overdoses.
- Wrongful death case damages can include economic, non-economic and punitive damages.
Filing Personal Injury Claims for Indiana Accident Victims
The legal team at Poynter & Bucheri is dedicated to recovering compensation for your injuries and losses.
When a negligent or reckless person or party causes an injury, that party can be held liable for damages. While there is any number of damages that can be incurred in such an incident, some of the damages an Indianapolis personal injury claim may include are:
Expenses and costs related to medical care
- Whether the injury is the result of a motor vehicle accident or a slip and fall case, medical care costs can be extensive and expensive. Costly medical bills could include those related to the use of emergency vehicles, emergency room treatment, surgery and anesthesia, imaging and scans, blood work, hospital stays, prescription drugs, physical therapy, follow-up treatments and counseling.
Loss of income, including future lost wages and loss of earning capacity
- If you’re injured in an accident, you may have to take time off work to care for yourself and your injury. In some cases, you may have to lose months of work and wages to recover – or worse, be unable to return to your job. Don’t accept this loss of income without fighting for your rights with a PBAR personal injury attorney.
- Whether you’ve lost property or sustained damages due to your involvement in a motor vehicle, boating or ATV accident or from another’s negligence or incompetence, PBAR personal injury attorneys are ready to fight for your rights to reclaim what’s yours.
Emotional suffering, PTSD and mental anguish
- While many associate PTSD with military service or cases of abuse, it is actually much more widespread and common, with as many as 8% of all Americans suffering from symptoms. Car accidents, workplace injuries, dog bites and more all can result in post-traumatic stress, emotional suffering and mental anguish in addition to physical ailments.
Physical pain and suffering
- The pain of being involved in an accident that results in an injury can range from mild to severe and may last anywhere from days to years after the incident. Don’t let a personal injury disrupt your life without speaking to a qualified attorney like those at PBAR to help you seek compensation for your discomfort.
Scarring, permanent disability and disfigurement
- Some accidents may result in permanent or temporary damage to your appearance that can be both physically and emotionally painful as well as damage to your physical and mental capabilities. Such injuries may require numerous, expensive surgeries and therapy to treat. You have the right to seek compensation in the event of such injuries.
Funeral and burial expenses in a wrongful death claim
- The average Indiana funeral cost in 2012, according to the National Funeral Directors Association, was $7,045. This is without factoring in cemetery costs, which are often around $3,000. Cremations in Indiana can cost anywhere between $795 and $3,000, with cremation ceremonies totaling between $1,000 and $4,500. This means in cases of wrongful death, not only have you suffered the loss of a loved one, you are responsible for thousands of dollars in costs just to properly memorialize them.
Loss of enjoyment of life
- It can be hard to quantify the loss of enjoyment that can come from an accident or injury, though the results can be devastating on the individual and his or her loved ones. Aspects of life that can be affected by an injury include the ability to work, drive, take care of one’s home and property, care for children and dependents, travel, take part in sporting, athletic, or outdoor activities, and more. Loss of consortium and life’s pleasures are just some of the damages you may seek with PBAR personal injury attorneys on your team.
Other out-of-pocket expenses related to the accident, injury or recovery
- Especially in motor vehicle accidents involving uninsured or underinsured drivers, insurance may not cover all expenses attributed to an accident or injury, even if that driver is at fault. Let PBAR attorneys help you navigate the unfortunate reality of these types of accidents and help you claim what’s yours.
How Poynter & Bucheri Accident Recovery Can Help
Let the Indianapolis personal injury lawyers at PBAR fight for your right to receive money to pay for your damages, whatever they may be. We aggressively pursue each personal injury claim to obtain the maximum compensation available for our clients.
You shouldn’t have to suffer alone. Let PBAR help you recover what’s yours, whether you sustained injury from a slip and fall, a nursing home, car accident, a large truck collision, a run-in with a neighbor’s dog or an injury while pursuing recreational activities such as boating or ATVing
We Specialize in Helping Personal Injury Victims Like You!
Learn more about your legal rights and the compensation you deserve for your accident claim by calling Law Office of Poynter & Bucheri at 1-800-265-9881 or (317) 780-8000 to request your free consultation with an Indianapolis personal injury lawyer.