Indiana slip and fall accidents are a common cause of injury. These incidents can happen anywhere at any time. In many situations, people who slip and fall may simply get right back and up and brush it off. However, if a fall leads to an injury, you will need to report the incident right away if you want to receive compensation to help cover the cost of medical expenses and other potential damages.
When a fall happens on someone else’s property, such as a parking garage, it will be handled as a premises liability case. This means that you will have to prove that the parking garage owner neglected their duty to maintain a safe premises and is thus responsible for the accident and your injuries.
Premises liability cases can be tricky. The important thing to remember is that you should always report your slip and fall incident as soon as possible and collect information on-site that can help you build a strong case against the property owner. If you are injured as a result of the slip and fall, evidence gathered at the scene will be necessary if you want to recover damages.
If you need help with a slip and fall accident, contact the experts at Poynter & Bucheri Accident Recovery. We can review your case and help you prove fault to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
A parking garage might not be the first place that comes to mind when you think of slip and fall accidents, but parking garages and parking ramps are common locations for these incidents—often because they are not well-maintained and cleaned.
Some of the common reasons for parking garage slip and falls include:
- Poor lighting in the garage or stairwells
- Uneven or broken surfaces
- Oil on the floor or ground from cars
- Wet or slippery floors from water or spilled liquids
- Broken stairs, steps, or lack of handrails
- Ice or snow that has accumulated near the opening of the garage or on the garage entrance or exit ramp
If you become injured as a result of an Indiana slip and fall accident, the steps you take following the incident will play an important part in your personal injury claim. Again, slip and fall incidents are typically viewed as a matter of premises liability, so you will need to take steps to ensure you will have the information you’ll need to prove that the garage owner was responsible.
If you slip and fall in a parking garage, make sure you:
- Call for emergency medical services if you are severely injured. If not, you should still see your doctor or go to urgent care to get checked out. Proof of injury will be necessary to help support your case.
- Report the incident to someone working in the garage if possible.
- Write down the name of the garage and any other relevant information.
- Take photos of your injury and where you slipped and fell.
- Gather witness information and statements from anyone that saw what happened.
- Contact a personal injury attorney. They can review your case and inform you of the next steps if you intend to file a claim to recover damages.
Property owners, such as those who own a parking garage, have a duty to keep their property clean and safe for guests and visitors. If there is an actual known hazard or a hazard they should reasonably have known about, and they fail to take care of it, they can be held liable for any accidents that occur.
The tricky part of premises liability cases is proving that the property owner knew about the hazard. If you are injured and want to recover damages, you will have to prove that a known hazard existed and was the cause of your injury.
Essentially, you must:
- Prove that a hazard existed;
- Prove that the property owner actually knew about the hazard or should have known about the hazard;
- Prove that the property owner had a reasonable amount of time to deal with the issue and failed to do so;
- Prove that your accident and injury were a result of the existing hazard.
Though it may seem obvious to you that the property owner is at fault, you must be able to provide evidence that supports your claim. This can be challenging and typically requires the help of an attorney who can advocate for your rights and help you provide the necessary evidence.
If you slip and fall in a parking garage and seek to recover damages, the experts at Poynter & Bucheri can help. We have years of experience handling premises liability claims and know what it takes to prove that the property owner is responsible. Our team is dedicated to assisting our clients to ensure they get the compensation they deserve.
Don’t hesitate — one of our experienced attorneys can assist you right away. Call 1-800-265-9881 for a free case review.