Spinal cord injuries can be the result of many different types of accidents and negligence. Motor vehicle accidents, boating accidents, falls, ATV accidents, DUI accidents, and other personal injury accidents. A spinal cord injury can be devastating. Depending on the severity of the injury, a person may be paralyzed for the rest of his or her life.
It is important to work with an Indianapolis spinal cord injury attorney who understands the various damages associated with a spinal cord injury. A catastrophic injury like this can result in substantial economic damages for the victim and the family, in addition to the overwhelming impact on the victim’s quality of life. An attorney can help you pursue the maximum value for each of the types of spinal cord compensation you are entitled to receive.
Five Types of Spinal Cord Injury Compensation You Might Receive
The types of damages you may receive when you file a personal injury claim vary depending on the facts in your case. However, five common types of damages associated with spinal cord injury claims include:
- Medical Expenses and Personal Care — Treating a spinal cord injury can be extremely costly. You may be in a hospital or rehabilitation facility for months. After you go home, you may also need assistance with your personal care, which may require in-home nurses.
- Loss of Income — You are likely to be out of work for a long time, if not permanently, after a spinal cord injury. Depending on your occupation, education, and life expectancy, the loss of income could be staggering. Even if you can return to work, you may not be able to earn the same level of income as before the accident. If so, you may also be entitled to receive compensation for a loss of earning capacity.
- Future Damages — Suffering a permanent disability can result in ongoing medical care, personal care, and loss of income. You may be entitled to receive compensation for future losses in addition to compensation for your past economic losses.
- Pain and Suffering — Economic losses are not the only damages you sustain because of a spinal cord injury. You are also entitled to receive compensation for your physical, mental, and emotional pain and suffering because of the accident and injury. Also included in this category are sums for loss of quality of life, scarring, disfigurement, and permanent disability.
- Loss of Consortium — Your family also sustains losses because of the spinal cord injury. A loss of consortium claim seeks compensation for the loss of companionship, affection, support, and guidance your family sustained because of your injury.
Contact the PBAR Legal Team for a Free Case Review
When a family member sustains a catastrophic injury, the entire family suffers a great loss. Our goal is to recover compensation that benefits the victim and the family as they continue to recover from the terrible wrong committed.
Contact Poynter & Bucheri to schedule a free consultation with an Indianapolis spinal cord injury attorney in your area by calling 1-800-265-9881 or (317) 780-8000.