What Does an Indianapolis Personal Injury Attorney Do for You?
You may see or hear advertisements by personal injury attorneys on the internet, the radio, or the television, but what does a personal injury attorney do?
A personal injury attorney represents clients who have civil liability claims. They handle cases which involve intentional torts or negligence. A civil lawsuit seeks compensation from a person or entity that caused harm to another person. A personal injury attorney is hired to represent the injured party to negotiate a settlement of the claim or file a personal injury lawsuit when the parties cannot settle a dispute.
What is a Personal Injury Claim?
When a person is injured, that person may be entitled to compensation from the party who caused the injury. Indiana’s personal injury laws allow compensation for a variety of damages arising from an injury, including compensation for medical bills, loss of income, physical pain, permanent impairments, emotional suffering, and future damages.
The amount of compensation and the allowable damages in a case depend on several factors. Our Indianapolis personal injury lawyers utilize the facts in the case to maximize the amount of compensation you may receive for your claim.
A personal injury claim may arise from a variety of situations in which a person is injured. Personal injury law firms handle different types of claims. Our PBAR legal team involves injury claims arising from:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Boating Accidents
- Wrongful Deaths
- Soft Tissue Injuries
- Dog Bites and Animal Attacks
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- ATV Accidents
- DUI Accidents
- Dram Shop Liability
You can click on any of the above links to read more about a personal injury claim arising from that specific accident or situation. You can also request a free consultation with one of our Indianapolis personal injury lawyers to discuss how we can help you recover compensation for your injuries, losses, and damages.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do After I Retain the Lawyer?
If you retain our law firm, our legal team initiates a comprehensive accident investigation. Under Indiana’s personal injury laws, you must prove that the other party caused the incident or accident that led to your injury. You must also prove that you suffered damages because of the injury.
To identify the responsible parties in your case and obtain evidence to prove fault and liability, our PBAR legal team may:
- Conduct an accident scene investigation, including photographing and videotaping the accident scene.
- Search for video of the accident from third parties.
- Interview and take statements from eyewitnesses.
- Review police reports and accident reports.
- Obtain and review your medical records and discuss your prognosis with your physicians.
- Conduct a deposition (obtain sworn testimony) of the other party and other witnesses.
- Retain expert witnesses, including medical experts, financial experts, accident reconstructionists, and economic experts.
- Research case law and statutes.
- Identify available insurance coverage from various sources.
- Take specific steps to preserve evidence, such as sending notifications to a truck owner to preserve the information on the truck’s black box and other records related to the truck.
The above steps are just a few of the steps that we may take as we aggressively pursue compensation for your injuries.
Contact an Indianapolis Personal Injury Attorney for a Free Consultation
Contact Poynter & Bucheri by calling 1-800-265-9881 or (317) 780-8000 to request your free case review with an Indianapolis personal injury lawyer.